What is Mold Illness and Mold Toxicity?
Molds are multiple types of fungi that grow and reproduce by forming spores that sprout and fly away and are invisible to the naked eye. Mold produces toxic substances, known as mycotoxins, present on the spores and fragments of molds that can be ingested or inhaled. Molds like to grow in hot, warm, and humid places (Texas!) – in the environment, in old buildings, and can also grow on certain foods.
World Health Organization confirms:
“Toxicological evidence obtained in vivo and in vitro supports these finding, showing the occurrence of diverse inflammatory and toxic responses after exposure to microorganisms isolated from damp building, including spores, metabolites and components.”
Mold toxicity falls under a larger category of biotoxin illness, also known as Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS). Ritchie Shoemaker, MD, has authored many books including Surviving Mold: Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildings. He defines CIRS as:
“…an acute and chronic systemic inflammatory response acquired following exposure to the interior environment of a water damaged building with resident toxigenic organisms, including but not limited to fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes, and mycobacterium…”
What are Symptoms of Mold Toxicity?
The symptoms are broad and overlap with many other conditions, which means it can be difficult to diagnose. Symptoms can include:
- Memory problems, brain fog, trouble with focus
- Fatigue, weakness, post exertional fatigue
- Muscle cramps, aches and pains, persistent nerve pain “ice pick”
- Numbness and tingling
- Light sensitivity
- Sinus problems, cough, shortness of breath, asthma like symptoms
- Tremors, Vertigo, Abdominal pain nausea, diarrhea
- Weight gain or inability to lose weight despite sufficient effort
How is Mold Illness Treated?
If a patient is burdened by mycotoxins, there are several ways to approach symptom management and detox support. Dr. Saxton tailors’ regimens for each patient specifically based on their unique symptoms and situation. This often include diet and lifestyle changes, therapies such as binders and herbals to help eliminate and bind the mycotoxins, and often times IV Ozone can be a great adjunct to therapy as well.
- “Toxic” by Dr. Neil Nathan
- “Mold and Mycotoxins: Current Evaluation and Treatment” Dr. Neil Nathan