Candidiasis is a fungal infection caused by an overgrowth of a type of yeast that lives on your body (Candida albicans). At Roots Integrative Medicine, Dr. Saxton enjoys coming along side patients who are looking for answers. Treating Candida can be through prescriptions, herbals, supplements, IV therapies, such as IV Ozone, and more depending on your specific needs.
What Are Some of The Most Common Symptoms?
- Itching Ears and Skin
- Low Energy, Fatigue, Malaise
- Bloating, constipation, diarrhea
- Skin and Nail Fungal Infections
- Vaginal infections, Rectal Itching and Vaginal Itching
- Sugar and Carb Cravings
What Causes Candida/Yeast Infections?
There are several potentially contributing factors for someone to develop a Candida overgrowth. Some factors include:
- Recent or Prolonged Antibiotics
- Loss of Good Gut Microbiome
- Chronic Stress, Lack of Sleep, Lowered Immunity
- Excessive Consumption of Sweets and Carbs
How Do You Diagnose Candida?
The OAT test is a great way to screen for Candida overgrowth. This is a simple at home urine test that looks at key metabolites of bacterial, yeast and mitochondrial metabolism.
There are several stool samples as well that can also be used to detect Candida overgrowth.
A less accurate but quick, cheap test on your own, here is a recommended to try:
- Glass of Water: Prepare a glass of water at room temperature.
- Have a Good Spit: Work up a bit of saliva, and spit it into the glass of water. Check the water every 15 minutes or so for up to one hour.
- Observe the Movement of the Strings: Your saliva should stay at the top in a cohesive blob. If you see strings (fibers) traveling down into the water from the saliva floating on the top, cloudy specks (particles suspended in the water) or cloudy saliva that sinks to the bottom of the glass you have a candida problem.
What is an Integrative Approach to Candida?
An integrative medicine approach to treating and killing off Candida includes a several layered approach depending on each patient individually. These typically include:
- Starving the Candida with a Candida Specific Diet
- Killing the Candida (either prescriptions or herbals)
- Supporting a Healthy Strong Microbiome
- Strengthening the Immune System
- Supporting the Microbiome